What Kind of Baptist is CBC?
Commonwealth Baptist Church is made up of people at different places in their faith journey. We come from different traditions and backgrounds. Some have been believers for decades, some are new to the faith, and others are just beginning to explore who Jesus is. We value our diversity and believe that it enriches us all. We are a safe place to ask questions, debate, and even disagree. The statements below will give you a sense of our core values that guide us as Commonwealth Baptist Church.
Commonwealth Baptist Church is a progressive community of faith that is open, welcoming, and affirming of all people in our worship and mission. We are a loving Christian fellowship that seeks peace and justice, equips ourselves and others for service, and seeks to meet the physical and spiritual needs of the greater community through radical acts of hospitality and uncommon compassion.
- We seek to love the Lord God with all of our being.
- We strive to love and accept all people unconditionally.
- Every participant in our church is called to be a minister, missionary, and servant-leader.
- Prayer is our source of wisdom, strength, and intimacy with God.
- The Bible is inspired and the sole authority for the faith and practice of Commonwealth Baptist Church. Every believer has the ability to interpret scripture through the leadership of the Holy Spirit.
- Stewardship requires the faithful use of our time, talents, and treasures.
- Believer's baptism is a symbol of our commitment and relationship to Jesus and the Church.
- Our local church is autonomous and self-governed.
- The separation of church and state is good for both.
Trusting that we have been brought by divine grace to embrace the Lord Jesus Christ, we now solemnly covenant with each other that we will seek first the Kingdom of Heaven and God’s righteousness and that the Lord enabling us:
- We will walk together in Christian love, exercising care and watchfulness over each other;
- We will regularly engage in worship, prayer and Bible study;
- We will participate in each other’s joys, and will bear with compassion and empathy each other’s burdens and sorrows;
- We will endeavor to bring up those who are under our care in the nurture and admonition of the Lord;
- We will labor together as faithful stewards sharing our time, finances and gifts to support a vibrant ministry;
- We will endeavor by example, effort, and commitment to inclusiveness and love to lead others to Christ regardless of race, gender, sexuality, nationality or economic, cultural or social status; and
- We will seek throughout life to live to the glory of God who has called us out of darkness into Christ’s marvelous light.
- All are welcome, no exceptions! No need to dress up or give money.
- Click here for driving directions. We have plenty of parking.
- Bring the kids! We are family friendly and offer professional childcare.
“You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
- Matthew, 12:31